Thursday, May 5, 2011

Eternal Life, Idolizing the Bible and a relationship with Christ

John 5:39-40
39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
I was reading my bible today because there were some verses that have intrigued me for a while now. As I continued to try and grasp the passage, I asked God to help me understand his word. At that point he convicted me that I was trying to get his life through reading his word and not by investing in my relationship with him. Now don't get me wrong, the bible is a good thing. We learn about God and how we should live, not to mention the fact that we are encouraged through it. The problem was that I had not talked to God all morning. To put it in perspective, if I were friends with Albert Einstein then it would be foolish for me to ignore him and just read what he wrote instead of talking to him directly.

John 10:10
10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
If we could have life through the scriptures themselves, then Jesus came for nothing. It is through Him personally that we have life. Even many atheists know the scriptures. Even Satan knows the scriptures. (I am not comparing the previous two) It is through Jesus Christ alone that we receive life. I encourage you to invest in your relationship with your Heavenly Father the next time you are unsatisfied in your life or circumstances are bad. God's word is encouraging because it tells about Him, but we have a relationship with Him.

2 comments:

  1. so true! i loved the like about being friends with Einstein and just reading his work... its so true we invest so much into reading and memorizing but forget about the relationship and what we are doing it all for... the love of Him! good words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Can you read my post and let me know what you think? I was searching for like-hearted people who have had the same experiences as mine and yours seem to match with mine 100%. I probably come off a little strong, but I guess I wrote it a little upset at fundamentalists who ONLY listen to the Bible AS IF it were God Himself! It's like: Why settle for reading the letter instead of seeking the Author Himself! Here is the link to my article: http://getrealtoheal.blogspot.com/2011/10/do-you-have-personal-relationship-with.html

    ReplyDelete